Skip to main content

Proceeding contribution from Lord Astor of Hever (Conservative) in the House of Lords on Tuesday, 5 July 2005. It occurred during Question for short debate on Cyprus: Annan Plan.


Cyprus: Annan Plan

My Lords, I congratulate the noble Lord, Lord Maginnis, on securing this debate. It has been a most interesting and informed discussion, and one that I feel is apposite given the new role of the UK as president of the EU, and also in the light of the recent news that on 30 June the Government of Azerbaijan said   that they would start accepting Turkish Cypriot passports, as the noble Lord, Lord Maginnis, said, thus becoming only the second country to give a degree of recognition to the enclave in northern Cyprus. That might suggest that certain international attitudes towards the TRNC are changing, and further begs the question as to the political reality and the future of the Turkish Cypriots. The debate also takes place 15 months after the Annan plan referendum and the accession of Cyprus into the EU, and during a vital stage in Turkey’s quest for EU membership. With the disappointing rejection of the Annan plan, and with Cyprus now an established EU   member, Her Majesty’s Government have had a significant amount of time to reflect and to move towards supporting a balanced, democratic settlement to the division of the island. Now that the dust has settled on Cyprus’s accession to the EU and the Annan plan rebuff has been consigned to yesteryear, we are most eager to see the next steps initiated to help resolve the conflict. Those steps should work towards an outcome in which Greek Cypriots, Turkish Cypriots and Greece and Turkey are all satisfied. With our historical ties with Cyprus, our position as one of the three guarantors of the republic, and our military bases on the island, we have a particular obligation to ensure that we help the people of Cyprus to resolve their dispute. The UK’s role in the matter is further enhanced given that we took over the presidency of the EU at the end of last week. I join other noble Lords in asking Her Majesty’s Government what steps this country and the EU have taken since May 2004. We all look forward to seeing a solution to suit all, be it a bizonal and bicommunal structure or otherwise. It is important to cement a shared sense of purpose on the island. Such a goal, as we have already seen, has been far from simple to achieve. With human rights issues still burdening the condition of the northern enclave, that goal will be harder to achieve. Since I last spoke on the issue some two and a half years ago, on a similarly directed Question from the noble Lord, Lord Maginnis, it would appear that little has been done to allay the concerns over the treatment of the Turkish Cypriots. In 2002, I drew attention to the fact that Turkish Cypriots are isolated because the TRNC is recognised only by Turkey. Turkish Cypriots cannot take part in international events or be members of global organisations. It has been argued by numerous human rights observers that Turkish Cypriots are being denied the right to security of life and property; the right to freedom of movement and settlement; the rights to education, freedom of communication and correspondence; and political, economic and social rights. What intentions do the Government have to settle those issues? Are steps being taken to help improve living conditions in the TRNC? Freedom of movement and the rights of property should be central restoration obligations for Her Majesty’s Government to encourage. The disenfranchisement is exacerbated by the poor economic circumstances within northern Cyprus. Economic embargos still plague the country. EU laws and benefits apply only to Greek Cypriots. Despite the positive steps taken by the Turkish Cypriots regarding the Annan plan, the EU has yet to lift trade restrictions. Until recently, Turkey was the only available market for produce from the TRNC. A number of countries ended their economic embargoes of northern Cyprus when the Turkish community declared its support for the Annan plan. Will Her Majesty’s Government continue to impose embargoes on the Turkish Cypriots? I understand that last year the EU had pledged to release some £170 million to TRNC to help to end its economic isolation and to allow development to take place to raise living standards and improve the economy. But that financial injection was dependent upon a settlement being reached. On 1 February this year, the noble Baroness, Lady Symons, explained in a Written Answer to the noble Lord, Lord Maginnis, that,"““the European Commission drew up proposals for two regulations on financial aid and direct trade to help””" achieve an end to the isolation of the Turkish Cypriots. She stated:"““The Government support these proposals. It has not been possible to agree these regulations as yet, but we support the presidency in its efforts to obtain agreement on this package as soon as possible. Direct flights to the north of Cyprus would of course contribute to ending this isolation. This is an immensely complex area and we are examining the issue with our lawyers””.—[Official Report, 1/2/05; cols. WA 29–30.]" Now that we hold the presidency of the Council, can the Minister say whether there have been any developments concerning that financial package and whether Her Majesty’s Government will take further steps to aid TRNC’s economic prospects and growth, and end its isolation? Freedom of movement between both parts of the state and the rights of property are central human rights issues. On top of this, as the noble Lord, Lord   Rogan, said in the debate in November 2002, the TRNC has been,"““effectively denied their right to engage in political, economic, social, cultural and sporting contacts with the rest of the world””.—[Official Report, 6/11/02; col. 801.]" We must play our part in restructuring talks and encouraging a settlement to end the isolation of the TRNC and ensure that both Cypriot communities can   make the most of their EU membership. I look forward to hearing what plans the Government have to help rectify this disturbing and divisive problem within the EU.


Secondary information

Type
Proceeding contribution
Reference
673 c588-90 
Session
2005-06
Chamber / Committee
House of Lords chamber
Subjects
Air routes Cyprus Employment Human rights EU institutions Ownership Property Marketing Trade Tourism Transport for London Sanctions Peace negotiations EU aid Northern Cyprus EU trade
Link
View this Proceeding contribution on www.publications.parliament.uk